15 Amazing Facts About Google
4) When Page and Brin tried to find buyers to license their search technology, one portal CEO told them “As long as we’re 80 percent as good as our competitors, that’s good enough. Our users don’t really care about search.”5) Google grew so quickly that its offices quickly filled up. Employees couldn’t stand up at their desks without others tucking their chairs in first.6) The infamous “I feel lucky” is nearly never used. However, in trials it was found that removing it would somehow reduce the Google experience. Users wanted it kept. It was a comfort button.7) Google employees more than 20,000 workers worldwide.8) They use the 20% / 5% rules. If at least 20% of people use a feature, then it will be included. At least 5% of people need to use a particular search preference before it will make it into the ‘Advanced Preferences’.
9) Stock price in 2010 was $535.
10) Google has acquired over 60 companies since 2000.
11) Google’s Android mobile operating system is the world’s leading smart phone platform surpassing Nokia and Apple with a 33% share.
12) According to an estimate Google has over 1 million servers.
13) Employees are encouraged to use 20% of their time working on their own projects. Google News, Orkut are both examples of projects that grew from this working model.
14) A ‘Noogler’ is a new person at Google.
15) Google translates billions of HTML web pages into a display format for WAP and I-mode phones and wireless handheld devices.